We will be posting all assignments here approximately one week before count day.
FROM THIS POINT DOWN THIS PAGE IS NOT CURRENT. IGNORE THIS CONTENT (YOU CAN BROWSE FOR LINKS TO MAPS ETC BUT NOT ALL ASSIGNMENTS OR LINKS HERE ARE UP TO DATE AS OF 12/7/16).
Here is where you can shop for an area to scout prior to the 27th Dec or count on CBC day. Once you find an interesting area or route, get in touch with Peter or Mark to finalize it. Note: Counters should refer to our individual discussions, not the links to routes shown below, for their 2015 routes. The routes on this page may not reflect updated assignments.
Some sites are already claimed, but you may be able still to join the group. Any route not filled in with a party leader’s name is not yet claimed. If you don’t see an area listed below and you have access to it, please let us know.
Most area descriptions below have a ‘.kmz’ file associated with it. These files show the route or area of interest in Google Earth. You will want to have Google Earth on your computer to open a .kmz file. Google Earth is a free, easy to download program from the net. To download it, go to: http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html.
When you wish to view a route or an area, click on the ‘*. kmz’ file. The kmz file is actually folded into a zip file. Save the zip file to your computer. Go to the place that zip file is stored on your computer. Click on that file and the kmz file will appear. Click on the *.kmz file. When it opens, Google Earth also will open and display the route information. It’s very nifty. Try it. Call Mark for assistance, if needed.
On count day, you may find yourself in an area that is not part of your assignment. Keep separate notes for any counting you do that is not part of your area, especially if that area is assigned to someone else.
- Figueroa Mountain area, from circle edge E to Pino Alto Rd, Fig Mtn summit, and Sawmill Basin. (Figueroa Mtn Area)
- Ranger Peak, East Pinery Rd, Lion Cyn to Cachuma Saddle (Ranger Peak Area)
- Fir Canyon Trail (from Davy Brown Camp on Davy Brown Creek in Fir Cyn to Fir Cyn trail head on Fig Mtn Rd) (Fir Cyn Trail) Peter Schneekloth
- Ranger Peak Trail (from Fig Mtn Rd (34.72025 -119.95566) down to Happy Cyn Rd along the N side of De la Guerra Spgs) (Ranger Peak trail to HC Rd)
- Trail to Birabent Cyn, Zaca Ridge Rd.
- South from Davy Brown Camp, Willow Spring trail (from Fig Mtn summit to Fir Cyn trail and return (Willow Spring trail)
- White Rock Canyon Trail (from E Pinery Rd to jct Munch trail (34.73045 -119.93907) and return) (Upper White Rock trail). Looking northwest towards Birabent Canyon from the trail to it. (Mark Holmgren)
- Davy Brown Camp and lower Munch Ck (Davy Brown Camp and lower Munch Ck)
- Cachuma Creek. 2.9 miles on Happy Canyon Rd from N of De la Guerra Springs (34.68955 -119.90796) to Cachuma Saddle (34.72688 -119.91982) (Cachuma Creek count area)
- De la Guerra Spring Area, HC Rd from Natl. For. border to corner near Cachuma Creek. (De la Guerra Spring Area)
- South of Hwy 154 – canyons on N slope of Santa Ynez Mtns (South of Hwy 154)
Lake and Lowlands areas
- Lake Cachuma Abela Family in one boat; Rosie and Jay Bishop in tour boat.
- Bradbury Dam and SY River below dam. Holmgren
- Terrestrial areas around Lake Cachuma (2 teams).
- Happy Cyn Road. O’Loghlen and Hackamack and Hodgson and Coulter
- Santa Barbara Ranch (Lone Star Ranch).
- SY River on both sides of the Hwy 154 bridge.
- Santa Ynez Pastures (Meadowlark Rd)
- far eastern Santa Ynez neighborhood.
- Cruzitas and LaBrock Ranches, Sta Cruz Creek mouth; (Las Cruzitas and much more) Cruz
- Road to Las Cruzitas (Road to Cruz Phillips Ranch)
- Sedgwick Reserve Lentz and Sedgwick crew
- Happy Cyn Road from Alisos Road NW to National Forest Boundary (Hodgson polygon) Hodgson, Coulter, and Main
- N of Baseline Road. Brinkerhoff Rd from Roblar to the entrance to Sedgwick, Long Valley, Long Cyn, Montecielo, Woodstock, Edison, Mattei, Casey Ave, etc. (N of Baseline Road)
- North of Happy Canyon Road. Includes Ag areas, Armour Ranch Road (separate notes), grasslands (North of Happy Cyn Rd)
Double Coverage Routes (keep separate notes for these areas)
- E-W arm of Armour Ranch Rd
- SY River on both sides of the Hwy 154 bridge
- Figueroa Mtn/Ranger Peak vicinity
Keep separate notes for any counting you do that is not part of your area, especially if that area is assigned to someone else.
Owl , Poorwill, and Mountain Quail Routes
- Tunnel Rd, Ranger Peak and Lion Cyn, and Figueroa Mtn. areas
- Tequepis Trail
For the Wild Ones
- Jeep trail (closed to public) in the vicinity of McKinley Peak (34.70260 -119.84539) and Cachuma Mtn. (34.72609 -119.90058). Lieske